Monday, March 18, 2013

A Happy Family is But An Earlier Heaven


I saw this phrase posted on someone’s Facebook wall, and I had to agree with it.

Cousins are usually the first friends we have as children. No one will ever understand your crazy family like your cousins do even if you haven't talked much lately.

Cousins are your first friends because they are pretty much forced on you.  It’s not as if you can make friends on your own at a party when you are a year old. 

What’s really rare is keeping your cousin as a friend later in life.  Sure, you see him or her at family functions.  But do you keep in touch on a daily basis?  Do you do things together outside of parties, graduations, etc?

I do. 

Not our best moment (2013)
This is my first friend – my cousin Kevin.  My mother and his mother are sisters.  I am a 1 ½ years older than him, and he never lets me forget about it.  We were always family, but as we got older we became friends.  We share the same nerdy interests, and we both believe that Batman is a superhero.  He is one of the funniest people I know (as are his two brothers, who are both my cousins and my friends).  How often do you get a text like this?  I get stuff like this on a daily basis.

What’s invisible and smells like bananas?
Monkey farts.

When my aunt (who you should know by now is my best friend) said she was moving to Florida, he said he was happy for her and worried for me.  He told me not to worry because he was going to be my new best friend.  Granted, this was after a night at the bar…but I think the intent is there.

If you look at this quickly, you would think that this is a picture of our kids 
He was super happy -- I apparently was super scared

Selfies before selfies were cool (2008)

We both have kids now – his oldest son is 8 months older than my Monkey.  They are at the age now where they tolerate one another when they are together.  I’m pretty sure she bosses him around like I bossed Kevin around.  I hope that they are friends in 30 years – and that she can remind him often that she is younger.

The 2nd generation of cousins

Mini Me



I consider all my cousins my friends (so don't start texting me with your complaints!).  I am simply telling you about my first friend.  Some people don't seem to understand the bond I have with my family -- it starts with the friendships I have with my Aunts and Uncles, and goes on down to my cousins.  We are all close.  In fact, it extends to spouses too.  I'm very fortunate to have them in my life.

Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment