Thursday, February 28, 2013

Peep This!

The Monkey and I were at Target the other day for no particular reason, other than to look around and spend some money on things we didn't need.  I love checking out their seasonal stuff, especially this time of year because I think the Easter things are way too cute.

Like this thing...Peeps on a Stick!  The Monkey found this, and asked if she could get it.  I had no problem telling her no, because this cost $2 for four (1) Peeps.  That's $.50 per marshmallow, and that is C-R-A-Z-Y!!!   I explained to her that we could make our own, for much less money, and to own liking.  The snack in the store had four Peeps on it.  Why couldn't we make one with six Peeps on it?  That got her attention.

Here is what you will need:

  • Packages of Peeps, in any color.  We used chicks because that's what the Monkey likes.  I actually like the bunny ones better!  You'll notice the multiple colors...that's because I let the Monkey pick things out.
  • Lollipop sticks.  You'll notice we used bamboo skewers.  That's just what we had on hand.
  • Wilton Favor Bags (which I didn't have on hand)
  • Ribbon (which I also didn't have on hand).




Here's the tough part -- Take a Peep, and stab it onto the stick.  Stand back and admire your hard work.


I will admit that these chicks look they were in a war, and they lost their wings.  To fix this issue (meaning to cover up the exposed marshmallow) you could apply colored sugar crystals.  Much like the bags and ribbon, I didn't have colored sugar on hand.  It really didn't matter, because as soon as these were finished, the Monkey ate them.


To give these away as party favors, or classroom treats (which is what she plans to do), you can wrap each skewer with the favor bags, and use pretty ribbon to tie things up.  When we make these for her class in March, I'll post some pictures so you can see how they turned out.

One happy Monkey
Instead of paying $2 for the store-made Peeps on a Stick, I paid $1.99 for one package of Peeps, which had 15 marshmallows in it.  I used skewers I already had on hand.  Using the items we purchased, and what we had on hand, we made 15 treats on a stick for $7.96.  That sure beats paying $29.85 for 15 Peeps on a Stick!

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment