Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sticky Fingers


What happens when you give a group of girls a bag of marshmallows and a box of spaghetti?  Well, besides a lot of giggles and sticky fingers, you get some creative towers.

We did this activity a few weeks ago (I just neglected to share it with you!).  Believe it or not, I did not find this off of Pinterest (SHOCKING, right?).  This was something we did at my place of work years ago, and it is still talked about.

Here is what you need: one bag of marshmallows per team, one box of spaghetti per team, and willing participants.  You can make the teams as large or as small as you want.  I had eight girls at the meeting, which made things easy for me, as I split the girls up into groups of four.  I gave them 20 minutes to work together to build a tower as tall as they could without having it fall over.  I also had to tell them not to eat their materials!  It only took them a matter of minutes to figure out that they could use the marshmallows as the “building cement”. 

I take that back….it took a matter of seconds for one scout to say: “Wouldn’t it be best if we drew up some blueprints before we start building this?”.



They worked quietly and quickly together on their buildings.  Some girls took on the role of the supervisors (like my Monkey) and others were happy to be the worker bees.


In the end, one team did a little better job than the other, as the one tower fell apart at the last minute.  But it didn't matter.  All that mattered was that they worked together, and had fun while doing it.

The last man standing
I think I will revisit this idea towards the end of the year, and provide both large and small marshmallows, and perhaps only provide a certain number of pasta strands.  They have the experience under their belt already, so I'm sure they could handle the task.

Until next time......



No comments:

Post a Comment