Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Adventures in Freezer Cooking


Oh, little blog…do not think that I forgot about you.  Life has just gotten in the way.

Freezer cooking.  Ever heard of it?  It’s all the rage on Pinterest right now.  Find a bunch of recipes, make a list of what you need, hit the grocery store, put all the ingredients into a freezer bag, and stuff your freezer.   There are site dedicated to this concept, which is great for someone like me – the person that doesn’t want to do the work.

There are actually businesses that will do the work for you.  They also fool you into doing the work by calling it a Girls Night Out.  You and a bunch of your peeps spend the night putting together these meals (the business does all the shopping, cleaning, and cutting) while enjoying a few glasses of wine.  These Girls Night Out do not come cheaply!

I am not ready to dedicate an entire day in my kitchen, especially since the weather is getting nicer.  I am ready to try one or two of these types of meals, which is what we did last night.  I made Slower Cooker Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken, which I found at Six Sisters Stuff.  If you haven't been to their site, do yourself a favor and check it out.  It's great.

Slower Cooker Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans corn, drained
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 cup salsa (mild, medium, hot – your choice)
¾ cup water
1 lb. boneless chicken breast

Place all the stuff in a freezer bag, and stick in your freezer.   Allow the contents to thaw in your refrigerator the day before you want to serve it.  Place in your crock pot, and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Shred the chicken before serving.

Food doesn't have to look pretty.  It just needs to taste GOOD!


I made nachos – simply place a few scoops on top of some tortilla chips, and top with sour cream and shredded  cheese.  My husband made burritos using this chicken mixture.  I will tell you that he said it reminded him of vegetable soup.  Not sure what to make of that.  He did say it was good, so I do know what to make of that!  

I pulled a bag out of our freezer last night..I'll tell you all about it later this week!

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment