Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mock Hawaiian BBQ Chicken


While surfing the web one night, I came across this recipe from Six Sisters Stuff.  I’m all about finding recipes that can be put together in a blink of an eye, and this one definitely fits the bill.

This is what their recipe called for
  • 1 20oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 1 bottle Archer Farms Hawaiian Style BBQ Sauce (from Target)
  • 4-6 boneless chicken breast

This is what I used
2 20 oz. cans pineapple chunks, drained (I love pineapple)
1 bottle Hunt’s Honey Hickory BBQ sauce (I grocery shop at the Shop-Rite, and they don’t sell Archer Farms products.  I went with what I *thought* would be a sweet sauce)
Pkg of frozen Perdue chicken breast



If you have one, use a crock pot liner before placing your ingredients in the crock.  It makes clean up a breeze.  Dump everything in the pot, put the lid on top, set the temperature up to high, and go about your business.  If you cook this on high, which I did, allow 2-3 hours to cook.  If you cook it on low, allow 4-6 hours to cook.  



When the time is right, you can shred the chicken while it is still in the pot, or you can remove it like I did.  I found it easier to remove the chicken, shred it on a plate, and then return it to the pot.  



Serve over rice (which is how I ate it), or serve it on its own (which is how my husband ate it). 



I found the sauce to be a little runny, and I think it was because I added the extra can of pineapple.  To fix this, I sprinkled in some cornstarch.  This thickened the sauce up so it was almost like a gravy, which I prefer.  The meal also had a “bite” to it, which I attribute to the BBQ sauce I used.  If I used the sweeter sauce, which is what the original recipe called for, I’m sure the “bite” would be missing.

If you get the chance, check out Six Sisters Stuff.  It’s got a ton of recipes and craft ideas, and the sisters are too sweet.

Until next time…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment