Thursday, March 14, 2013

Operation Baking Gals (Again!)

Last month I wrote about Operation Baking Gals, which is a great program I take part in.  It’s a group of volunteer bakers from around the country who bake and ship homemade treats to military men and woman that are currently deployed in war zones.  I signed up to participate this month, and shipped out the package yesterday.

I fully intended to have the Girl Scout troop help with this package, but time wasn’t on my side.  Sometimes ideas sound great in my head, but when I try to execute them, they go C-R-A-A-A-Z-Y. 

This month I made a batch of Puppy Chow.  No, I did not send dog food.  For those not familiar with it, Puppy Chow is a sweet version of Chex Mix.  It’s super easy to make, but be warned!!!!  It is very addicting.  There are various recipes (check them all out on Pinterest).  I found this one for a Thin Mint version, and that seemed appropriate.  I used the recipe as a guide, and adapted it to use ingredients I could find.

I also included boxes of Girl Scout cookies, plus drink mix packs, peanuts, and gum.  I figured the package would arrive just before Easter, so I included plastic eggs that I filled with candy.   I thought they looked cute, and hopefully it will bring a smile to the face of the recipient.

Some BUNNY is thinking of you

Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Ingredients:
10 cups Rice Cereal (such as Chex)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp mint extract
Pkg Wilton Candy Melts (or any melting chocolate)

Instructions:
In microwave, melt the chocolate for one minute.  Stir, and continue melting every 30 seconds until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the cereal with the melted chocolate.  Add the mint extract.  Fold mixture together until all the cereal is coated.
Add the powdered sugar to a large Ziploc bag.  Spoon in the cereal mixture.  Seal the bag and shake until the sugar is coating the cereal completely.
Pour cereal onto a large piece of wax paper and allow to cool.
Store in an airtight container.

Yum!

Not only is it rewarding to participate in Operation Baking Gals, it's easy too.   The boxes are free from the post office, and you can probably whip up something using ingredients you have in your pantry.  If you are interested in taking part, let me know.  I am thinking of becoming a team leader, and could use a little support.

Until next time....


4 comments:

  1. Maureen,
    Do you have to bake something? Can I send goodies from the store? If so, I'll be on your team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have to be homemade. It's really the thought that counts, and store bought goodies are just as good as the homemade kind.

      Delete
    2. OK let me know what I have to do.

      Delete
  2. PICK ME!!! PICK ME!!!

    ReplyDelete