Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On My Honor.....

Yesterday was the 101st birthday of Girl Scouting.  It was on March 12, 1912, that Juliette Gordon Low registered 18 girls as the first troop of American Girl Guides (which became the Girl Scouts). 

Four years ago, the monkey came home from a school with a flyer announcing Girl Scout registration night.  I was never a scout (I remember going to one meeting, in a church, but that's it.  I guess it just wasn't for me at the time).  She asked if she could join, and I couldn't see a reason not to.  Registration was pretty cheap ($12) compared to what I heard the boys had to pay.

We went to registration night, which was held in the school's multipurpose room.  It was pure chaos!  Girls of all ages running around, laughing and having fun.  I signed the paperwork, and just as I was handing over the check, I was asked if I would be the leader.  Um...no thanks.  Not interested.  Two weeks past, and the troop still had no leader.  "If you want your daughter to have a troop, you will need to be the leader."  Really?  This is how it's done.  I was pretty ticked off, and just as I was going to say forget it, I looked across the room and saw the Monkey playing with the other girls.  "Yes, I'll do it".  I have since found out that this type of recruitment is called "Volun-told".

First year Daisy -- Kindergarten

I don't regret being a leader at all. In fact, I enjoy it.  Sometimes I think I enjoy scouting a bit more than my daughter.  But I do have a confession to make: Cookie season drives me nuts, and so does some of the political things that happen behind the scenes -- the drama that can happen between leaders and troops.  Sometimes an hour meeting can feel like three hours.  Sometimes I leave a meeting thinking what a disaster it was.  I ask myself  "Did the girls have fun?" or "Did that make sense?".

2nd year Daisy (First Grade).  I love how they don't have any teeth!

I put all those thought away the next week, when the girls come back for the next meeting.  They are full of enthusiasm, and eager to do the next activity.  They LOVE anything related to animals -- learning about them, caring for them, collecting supplies for them.  They LOVE group games -- the goofier the better.  They LOVE snacks -- eating them and making them.

Her first year as a Brownie, and her 2nd cookie season

The Monkey is a very compassionate person.  She has a ton of patience for those younger than her.  In fact, the principal of her school calls her Dr. Megan, and told me that he feels she will be a pediatrician one day.  She cares deeply for her friends, and for those that are in need.  I like to think that her involvement in scouting helped shape that in her.

2nd year Brownie, earning her pottery badge


I'll leave you with the words we say at the beginning of every meeting.


The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Having fun at our Holiday Party

Until next time.....



No comments:

Post a Comment