Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thin Mint Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes cakes last week for the Teachers Appreciation Luncheon at the Monkey’s school.  I was told that they were a big hit, and I am going to choose to believe it, because the container came home empty.


You can find my go-to chocolate cake recipe here.  Your Cup of Cake has some really creative cupcakes, and her photos are beautiful.

Normally, I would make a butter cream frosting and call it a day, but I tried something different.  I searched the web for a cream cheese frosting, and found one that was simple enough.  However, for the life of me I can’t remember where I got it from (so I can’t thank that person, or link to their page, which is a blogger no-no).  I will say that I tweaked the recipe a bit, as it was vanilla flavor, and I wanted a mint flavor.

Cream Cheese Mint Frosting

  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 3 oz. cream cheese softened
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 ½ tspn. Peppermint extract
  • 16 oz. 10x sugar
  • Green food coloring
  • Thin Mints (for garnish)

Cream the butter and cream cheese together, and gradually add the powered sugar.  The frosting will appear thick and lumpy.  Slowy add in the milk, and mix until well blended.  Mix in extract, and then mix in the food color.  There isn’t any specific amount of coloring to add – use your best judgment.



Of course I had Thin Mints on hand (what Girl Scout leader doesn’t have a box in the freezer).  If you didn’t stock up during the last cookie sale, you could always use the Keebler knock off version.  However, I highly advise against that, and ask that you support your local Girl Scout!

Until next time.....

1 comment: