Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Out With the Old, and In With the New

I was thinking back on the events in my life that took place in 2012, and thought I would share them with you.  I'm starting with February because I can't think of a thing that happened in January!

February brought our 2nd Wing Thing for Autism Speaks.  It's another fundraiser we hold for the organization.  We have three categories -- children, women, and men.  I never truly compete.  I just like to sit next to Jennifer and eat lunch.


In March, I took the day off from work so the Monkey and I could visit the baby animals at the local farm.  The momma pig had just had her litter, so we spent a lot of time in the barn -- 2 hours to be exact.  One of the babies was a super runt, and she had a lot of trouble eating.  The farmer let us stay and watch how he took care of her, and they even let the Monkey pet her.


April didn't bring many showers, but it did bring us our third Disney Cruise.  We sailed on the Disney Dream, and it definitely lived up to its name.  We sailed to the Bahamas, and also spent the day at Disney's Castaway Cay.  It was a great vacation, and we are always planning wishing for a next one. 


The beginning of May was a bit hectic.  We returned from our cruise just in time to prepare for Bubby's Buddies Beef-and-Beer.  My family has been holding this event for the last five years to raise money for Autism Speaks.  It's a lot of work, but it so worth it -- plus it's just a great time.  That reminds me, it's time to start planning the next one.
May is also the time to celebrate the Monkey's birthday, and this year, it fell on Mother's Day.  It also fell on the day after our Beef-and-Beer.  Poor kid -- she was ticked she had to share my day, and she had to deal with a slightly hung over mommy and daddy. 

June brought the end of the second grade.  It also brought the opportunity for me and the Monkey to celebrate the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts in Washington DC.  We "Rocked the Mall" along with thousands of other scouts from across the country.  We met scouts, old and new, from as far away as California.  It was a long and hot day, and I think this picture sums it up.

July was a bitter sweet month, as I had to say goodbye to my aunt, uncle, and three cousins.  The decided earlier in the year to start a new life and move to Florida.  They are not just family -- they are more than that.  My aunt is 10 years older than me, and we grew up in the same house.  She's my best friend, and saying good bye to her in the parking lot of a restaurant was one of the hardest things I had to do.

The Monkey discovered how much she loves crab while spending some time in Ocean City MD in August.  This is a huge discovery for a kid that only eats noodles.


September meant back-to-school time.  Third grade here we come!

September is also when our family takes part in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event held at Citizen's Bank Park.  As you can see from our team shirts, we've been walking together since 2007.

October brings around my favorite time of year.  I love the fall.  We visited local pumpkin patches and farms, and went on many a hayride. I also got a new camera!  One of the reasons I like the camera is because my husband does as well.  I now have someone taking my picture!

We went back to Florida in November, and spent Thanksgiving with my family.  It was such a great time, and went way to fast.  I have so much to be thankful for, but this year I was super thankful that I got to see them again.

We actually had a white Christmas this year.  It snowed on Christmas Eve, and the Monkey got to make a snowman with her Uncle and cousin.


And now its 2013.  I'm excited to find out what this year brings.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment